Over time, many people have changed the way in which they deal with their daily water intake. Adding flavor to water can be done artificially and naturally. Artificially flavored water brings little to no benefits and will have negative effects on the body, while all-natural flavored water can help boost our immune system given its many nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Is Flavored Water Healthy?
Adding fruits such as watermelon, cucumber, lemon, cherries, and oranges and herbs such as basil or mint, to plain water are examples of all-natural flavored water. The benefits of drinking all-natural flavored water may vary depending on ingredients used.
If you are choosing flavored water to replace a high-calorie, sugary beverage, then it may be the healthier choice. Sodas, for example, typically contain many calories due to their high sugar content. But some flavored waters also contain sugar and associated calories, so you must read the product label closely to determine if a particular brand is an effective low-calorie option.
Benefits of flavored water:
- • It can improve your mood because herbs bring a natural feeling of calmness to our senses.
- • It helps speed recovery from workouts by hydrating the muscles after being fatigued.
- • It keeps your organs in good shape and makes you feel more vibrant.
- • It can aid in weight loss through detoxification.
Flavored water recipes:
- • Add tart lime and fragrant basil to water to give it a boost of vitamin C and iron.
- • Combine cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, and apples to water. "Skinny spice" cinnamon helps lower blood sugar concentration and improves insulin sensitivity,
- • Infuse orange and vanilla to water. If you don't have vanilla bean handy, substitute the pod with vanilla extract; both are naturally high in antioxidants.
- • Add strawberries and basil to water to get the benefits of iron from the herb and vitamin C from the berries, which are linked to fighting cancer, keeping wrinkles at bay, and more.
- • Combine slices of watermelon and jalapeños with water. Watermelon is loaded with vitamins A and C, and spicy jalapeños contain capsaicin, which causes the body to release endorphins to create an energizing rush.
- • To flush out fat and toxins, add lemon, ginger, or cucumber to water. These are great flavor boosters which can also aid in weight loss.
Can you drink flavored water while pregnant?
Everybody can add natural flavored water to their diet, even those who are pregnant. Pregnant women are encouraged to drink water, whether plain or naturally-flavored, to stay hydrated and help distribute the nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed by both the mother and child. Artificial drinks are to be avoided as it will result in the decrease in the production of essential nutrients.
Although water may seem plain, it does wonders and is vital for the body. It flushes out toxins and helps prevent dehydration, among many others. Flavored water is the same as water, but with a twist. Since it is not pasteurized and it does not have preservatives, it is best to consume all-natural flavored water within three days if refrigerated away to make sure you are getting that much-awaited all-natural flavorful drink. Cheers!